Dye Sub vs Inkjet
There are many reasons why Dye Sub make better photo printers than Inkjets. The comparison table below shows the differences between the two printers.
Dye sub printers have been quite expensive. Smaller dye sub printers which are ideal for home printing which just printed 6″x4″ photos (postcard size) have been around for years with models like the HiTi 630PS, HiTi Photoshuttle and the very popular HiTi 730PS which also printed 7×5 and 8×6 photos.
Recently Mitsubishi have launched a printer for less than £350! – This printer, the Mitsubishi M15E which is possibly the worlds least expensive professional dye sub printer, prints 6″x4″, 7″x5″ and 8″x6″ photos and is built to the same high standards as their other printers which are twice the price and it has the same high quality output as the rest of their professional range which are build using a metal construction and are known for being exteremly reliable.
Dye Sub Printers have been used by professional photographers and theme parks for many years for the reasons listed below and many printers that are used on a daily basis are still going strong ten years later. These Photo printers are industrial workhorses and their resale values are testament to their quality.
Where Dye Sub Printers are better
There are many reasons why Dye Sub make better photo printers than Inkjets. The main reasons are:
- Superb Image Quality – “Better than a traditional lab print”
- Known Running Costs – It’s easy to calculate how much a Dye Sub Print costs
- Less Hassle to use – No running out of ink part way through a print run.
- More Durable – Instantly Dry and Water resistant
- No Mess – No messy inks to install.
- More practical – No need for head cleaning, just switch on and use.
- Only one consumable to buy. No need to overstock on inks and paper.
- Glossy and Matt Prints from the same media.
- Large print capacity – Load up to 750 prints at one time.
- Superb Reliability
- Ideal for high volume printing.
- Usually industrial quality construction
- Fast! – 6″x4″ prints every 6 seconds.
Where Inkjet Printers are better.
There are some instances where Inkjet Printers are better: The main reasons are:
It is worth remembering that Dye Sub Printer are primarily photo printers so whilst it is possible to print a spreadsheet on a Dye Sub it isn’t really practical and they aren’t designed for this. Dye sub printers are also limited to the print sizes that the media is available in. If you are looking to print larger than 8″x12″ then Dye Sub printers are not for you.